How to clean and store your plate carrier
Operating or training in a plate carrier is no joke. For hours on end you could be running around, shooting, crawling through mud, sweating and your plate carrier will inevitably become dirty and start to smell. If you are in the military then it is your responsibility to take care of your gear and even if you are not, your plate carrier will last longer and will be much more comfortable to wear if you clean it once in a while.
Can you wash a plate carrier?
We are often asked if you can wash a plate carrier. Good news is, you can! It's pretty easy and won’t take more than 15 minutes of your time. But first let’s talk about what you shouldn’t do:
- Don’t wash a plate carrier in a washing machine.
- Don’t use bleach or any other strong chemicals, it can damage fabric.
- Don’t throw it in the dryer.
How to clean a plate carrier
- First, you need to remove your armor plates from your plate bags.
- Remove all attachments and accessories that can be removed and ones that can’t be removed should be completely emptied.
- Use a soft bristled brush to scrub to remove dirt and dried mud.
- If there are only a few stains you can try to clean them with a washcloth or a toothbrush with water mixed with soap or any mild laundry detergent.
- If your plate carrier smells bad or you want a deeper clean, put it in a mix of cold or warm water with mild laundry detergent or soap. Do not use hot water, it can damage the color and fabric and make sure to wash it by hand.
- Rinse it with cold water until you wash out all the detergent or soap.
- After washing, put it in a well ventilated area to dry.
How to store a plate carrier
Another important part of maintaining your plate carrier in good condition is storing it correctly. Your first option is to keep it flat in a duffel or range bag, but make sure it’s separate from the rest of your gear and that you do not put any weight on top of it. Alternatively, you can hang it in a closet with a heavy duty hanger, but in this case take armor plates out to prevent the bottom of your plate bag from being worn out.
Maintaining your plate carrier is the key if you want it to last longer. With proper care you can keep it in great condition for a decade. Check our collection of plate carriers that will last you for years.
Leave a comment